SUMMER CHERRY RECIPES
- 2 cups Northwest Cherries - Fresh or Frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk or any milk of your choice
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder cocoa powder is ok too
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop protein powder (plain, vanilla, or chocolate) or greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- Ice if not using frozen cherries
- Blend together in blender until smooth.
- 1 Walla walla sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus oil for grilling
- 1 tbsp minced ginger root
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1/2 lb Bing Cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp tarragon leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs wild salmon filet, cut in 4 portions
- To make the chutney, in a hot saucepan, caramelizeonions in oil, then add ginger and garlicand cook until lightly golden. Add cherries and cook gently. Deglaze pan with red wine and reduce until cherriesare tender. Finish with vinegar,sugar, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- To grill the salmon, preheat abackyard barbecue and rub the grilling surface with oliveoil. Season the salmonfillets lightly with salt and pepper. Grillskin-side-up for five minutes,or until dark lines form onthe flesh, then turn the salmon and grill until the fish is just cookedthrough, about 4 minutes more. Serve the salmon with the chutney and garnish with tarragon sprigs.
- 2 Pie crusts, prepared
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cherry juice, reserved from pitting (fresh) or from rinsing/rehydrating (preserved)
- 7 cups Northwest Cherries pitted
- 3/4-1 cup sugar*
- 1 tbsp almond extract or bourbon-vanilla bean infusion
- sing a fork, whisk together the cherry water and cornstarch in a small bowl, then set aside.2. Stem and pit the cherries, if not already done. 3. Fill pie dish with cherries and blend the remaining volume (about 2 cups or 1/4 the total volume) into a puree. Pour the remaining whole cherries into a mixing bowl and return to the refrigerator (if using frozen cherries). 4. Using a heavy-bottomed pan, gently heat the puree and sugar over low heat until the volume has reduced by 1/3 to 1/2. Constantly stir across the bottom to prevent burning. 5. Once reduced, remove from the heat and stir in the cornstarch slurry until the mix regains translucency. Gently and briefly reheat if needed. Stir in the extract and let the mixture cool to room temperature.6. Pour the cooled mixture over the whole cherries, gently stirring to incorporate. Pour the final cherry mixture into a 9 or 10-inch prepared pie crust, and top with a second crust. Pinch, crimp and vent the top crust. Brush with a beaten egg if so desired and sprinkle lightly with coconut sugar.Bake at 375 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is steadily bubbling. Aluminum foil may be used around the crust edges to prevent browning during the second half of the bake. Transfer the pie to a cooling rack, and most importantly, allow the pie to cool completely before serving (3-4 hours).*sugar may be substituted for 3/4 - 1 cup coconut sugar (Grandma later changed this to lower-glycemic coconut sugar)
- 3 Boneless, chicken breast halves, cooked and diced
- 1/3 cup Northwest cherries Dried or Fresh
- 1/3 cup Diced celery
- 1/3 cup Toasted, chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Buttermilk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, dried cherries, celery, nuts, mayonnaise, milk, salt and pepper. Mix together well and refrigerate until chilled. Serve on cracked wheat bread, croissants or a bed of lettuce.
- 1 cup Sugar snap peas
- 2 cups Northwest Cherries pitted
- 1 Cucumber Medium, halved and seeded
- 1 cup Red Radishes chopped
- 3 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Balsalmic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger root grated
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- Blanch peas in boiling salted water 1 minute; plunge into iced water to cool. Drain. Mix cherries, cucumber, radishes, and peas. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over cherry mixture and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator at least one hour.
- 1 cup Dark Sweet Northwest Cherries pitted
- 1 cup Rainier Northwest Cherries pitted
- 1 Large Northwest White Peach pitted and cubed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Minted Honey Lemon Dressing
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Tosstogether cherries, peach and blueberries. Sprinkle with dressing and toss gently. Makes 4 servings.
- 2 cup Northwest Cherries, pitted
- 2 cups chilled orange juice
- 2 cups chilled lemon-lime flavored soda
- 1 can (8oz) pineapple chunks in juice chilled and drained
- 1 orange peeled and sectioned
- Place cherries in single layer on baking sheet, freeze until firm.Blend orange juice, soda, pineapple with juice, and orange sections in a pitcher. Pour into glasses to within 2 inches of top.Divide frozen cherries between glasses. Serve with spoons.
Servings: 4 pints
- 4 lbs Northwest Cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 jalapeno peppers (minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a large sized, non-ionized pot. Bring to just a boil, then reduce heatand simmer for 10 minutes or until salsa no longer looks watery.2. Ladle salsa into hot prepared pint jars. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings (finger tight) and processin a hot water bath for 15 minutes.3. Remove canning pot from heat, remove lid, and let jars rest in the cananing pot for an additional5 minutes. Remove jars, let sit on counter for at least 12hrs.
Servings: 18 Appetizers
- 18 slices (1/2-inchthick) small baguette-style bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups pitted Northwest fresh sweet cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced yellow sweet pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp grated lime peel
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
- Toastone side of baguette slices at 350°F 5 minutes.
- Turnslices, brush with olive oil and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Combinecherries, cilantro, pepper, green onions, lime juice, lime peel, salt, pepperand remaining olive oil; mix well.
- Topeach slice of baguette with a thin slice of fresh mozzarella cheese, a heapingtablespoon of cherry mixture and sliced basil.
- Servewarm or cold.