Recipe courtesy of Eugenia Bone on foodandwine.com
8 pounds sweet cherries, pitted
3 cups sugar
16 basil leaves
- In a large, heavy pot, combine the cherries and sugar.
- Cover and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and simmer until the liquid is slightly thickened and glossy and the cherries float in the liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Add the basil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pack the cherries and their juices into 4 hot sterilized 1-quart jars, stopping 1/2 inch from the top. Wipe the glass rims and close the jars.
- Set them in a water bath and bring to a boil. Process for 20 minutes.