Recipe by Arlene Mobley
4 cups pitted and coarsely chopped sweet red cherries
1 cup finely diced red pepper
1 Scotch Bonnet Habanero pepper, finely minced **see notes
4½ cups white granulated sugar
6 tablespoons Ball Real Fruit Pectin Classic
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Wash cherries then stem and pit them into a large bowl, catching as much cherry juice as possible.
- Coarsely chop the pitted cherries and place them into your large canning pot.
- Add the lime juice to the pot of cherries and toss well.
- Dice the red pepper and place into the pot with the cherries.
- ** Put rubber gloves on and finely mince the habanero pepper. For a mild pepper jam remove all seeds and remove the pith. For a medium-hot jam leave the seeds in. For a hotter jam mince the entire habanero pepper with seeds and pith and place into the pot with the other ingredients.
- Add pectin to the pot and heat on low, occasionally stirring until the pectin melts.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a roiling bowl.
- Add sugar, stirring until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Return to a roiling boil.
- Add butter to cut down on foaming. (if using)
- Boil for one minute.
- Remove the pot from the stove.
- Skim off any excess foam.
- Fill your prepared jars leaving a ¼ inch head space.
- Wipe rim of jar with a damp paper towel, place flat lid on top of jar and place band on screwing until just hand tightened.
- Process your filled jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes 6½ pints.
Note: The Cherry Habanero Jam recipe has been adapted from the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving Red Chili Cherry Jam recipe.