Recipe courtesy of Food.com (formerly known as RecipeZaar)
4 lbs apricots, peeled, halved and pitted (approx. 15-20 apricots)
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice
- In stainless steel saucepan, combine apricots and water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until apricots are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer apricot mixture to a food mill or food processor fitted with a metal blade and puree just until a uniform texture is achieved. Do not liquefy. Measure 6 cups of apricot puree.
- In a clean large stainless steel saucepan, combine apricot puree, lemon juice and sugar. Still until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and holds its shape on spoon.
- Prepare canner, jars and lids.
- Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rim and place lids.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes then remove jars, cool and store.